An Ideal Apparatus for Wind Turbine Reliability StudiesSpectraQuest’s Wind Turbine Drivetrain Diagnosis Simulator (WTDS) has been designed to simulate wind turbine drivetrains for experimental and educational purposes. The drivetrain consists of a 1 stage planetary gearbox, a 2 stage parallel shaft gearbox with rolling bearings, a bearing loader, and a programmable magnetic brake. All elements of the WTDS have been designed to maximize the number of drivetrain configurations to investigate gearbox dynamics and acoustic behavior, health monitoring, vibration based diagnostic techniques, lubricant conditioning or wear particle analysis. It is robust enough to handle heady loads and spacious enough for easy gear placement, setup, and installation of monitoring devices. The two-stage parallel shaft gearbox can be configured as to reduce or increase the gear ratio. The planetary gear train, sun, planet and ring gears, the carrier, and bearings are all easily accessible.
Flexible Drivetrain Fault DiagnosticsThe effect faults like surface wear, crack tooth, chipped tooth and missing tooth can be demonstrated on either spur gears or helical gears. Rolling element bearing faults like inner race, outer race, ball damage can also be incorporated. Adjustable clearance to study backlash is possible: increasing the amount of backlash is without major consequence (other than increased noise and rotational play), and reducing backlash can result in binding and/or excessive operating temperatures. Drivetrain misalignment can also be introduced intentionally in the WTDS. Any of these faults can be added to the drivetrain one at a time, or simultaneously to study fault interactions. Both torsional and radial loadings can be applied to study damage signature or propagation in gears and/or bearings: the torsional load is applied via a 3 HP variable frequency AC drive with a programmable, user-defined speed profiles; and the radial load is applied to a shaft in the parallel gearbox. With the programmable magnetic brake, rapid load fluctuation can be applied to simulate real life loading conditions experienced by wind turbines.
- 1-stage planetary gearbox and 2-stage oil-lubricated parallel shaft gearbox.
- Gears can slide along the shafts to alter system stiffness and make room for additional devices.
- Adaptable to spur or helical gears.
- Intentionally damaged or worn gearing can be fitted to study the effects on vibration signature.
- Alterable backlash by replacing bearing mounting hubs to provide the desired clearance.
- Modular design makes the introduction of faulted bearing and/or faulted gears an easy task.
- Wind turbine simulator consisting of a tower, three blades with PC programmable variable blade pitch system, direct coupled system to connect blades to gearbox brake-end or chain driven system to connect blades
- Multiple mounting locations provided for installation of various transducers.
- Develop diagnosis techniques and advanced signal processing methods.
- Torsional and radial variable speed loading
- PC controlled magnetic brake connected directly to output shaft to provide loading
The WTDS is Heavy-Duty and Easily ConfigurableThe WTDS design enables changing gearbox and bearing components quickly and easily. The unit is adaptable to install either rolling element bearings or oil-impregnated sleeve bearings with either spur or helical gears. The modular design makes the introduction of faulted bearing and/or faulted gears an easy task. Multiple mounting locations are provided for installation of transducers. The motor, gearboxes, brake are mounted on a half inch aluminum plate with stiffeners and vibration isolators to minimize environmental vibration.
Transducers and DAQThe drivetrain is designed to accommodate different types of sensors easily. Accelerometers can be installed on the gearboxes and on the bearing housing to measure the vibrations in all three directions. A torque meter enables precise load measurement. The input and output shafts can be fitted with encoder or tachometer to measure the transmission error or for time synchronize averaging. Other transducers can also be installed per customers’ request. Data acquisition hardware and software are also available from Spectra Quest and ready to do time domain and frequency domain signal analysis.
|Motor||3 Phase, 3 HP motor, pre-wired self-aligning mounting system for easy installation/removal|
|Drive||3 HP variable frequency AC drive with multi-featured front panel programmable controller|
|RPM range||0 to 5000 rpm variable speed|
|Tachometer||Built-in tachometer with LCD display and one pulse per revolution analog TTL output for DAQ purposes|
|Voltage||230 VAC, Three phase, 60/50 Hz|
|Shaft Diameter||1″ diameter; Turned, Ground, & Polished (TGP) steel|
|Planetary Gearbox||1-stage, 4.7:1 gear ratio planetary gear with 3 planet stage|
|Parallel Gearbox||2 stage, 2.5 maximum ratio per stage, spur or helical gears|
|Parallel Shaft Gearbox Bearing||Deep groove ball bearing or oil-impregnated bronze sleeve bearing|
|Bearing Loader||3000lb capacity with force transducer|
|Torque meter||Up to 20N.m with built-in 360 pulse encoder|
|Output shaft encoder||360 pulse per turn encoder|
|Magnetic Brake||1.5 to 32 lb.ft capacity heavy duty magnetic particle brake|
|Wind Turbine||Chain driven 3 blade, 6 feet span|
|Foundation||1/2″ (12.7 mm) die cast aluminum base, base stiffener and eight rubber isolators|
|Weight||Approximately 250 lb|
|Dimensions||L=56″ (142cm), W=76″ (190cm), H=96″ (220cm)|
Basic Wind Turbine Drivetrain Diagnostics Simulator System includes:
- 3 HP Variable frequency AC drive with multi-featured front panel programmable controller, 220 VAC 1 phase supply
- 3 Phase 3 HP motor, pre-wired self-aligning mounting system for easy installation/removal
- Built-in tachometer with LCD display and one pulse per revolution analog TTL output for DAQ purposes
- 1 stage planetary gearbox with 4.7:1 gear ratio, planetary gear with 3 planet stage
- 2 stage parallel shaft gearbox with three in-line parallel shafts configurable as single or two stage reduction/increaser
- Four Spur Gears to obtain two gear mesh frequencies and three shaft speeds in parallel gearbox
- Six rolling element bearings in parallel gearbox
- Programmable Heavy duty magnetic brake(780lb-in) with power supply for gearbox loading
- Wind turbine simulator consisting of a tower, three blades with PC programmable variable pitch system, direct coupled system to connect blades to gearbox brake-end or chain driven system to connect blades
- Precision machined bearing housings at both ends of the gearbox with mountings for direct measurements of bearing vibration
- Parallel gearbox oil level gauge
- 1/2″ die cast aluminum base, base stiffener and eight rubber isolators
- Comprehensive operations manual
|The WTDS provides a basic setup for performing drivetrain experiments and for learning vibration signatures of gearbox and bearing malfunctions. However, a detailed investigation of particular and more advance vibration phenomena will require additional attachments and fixtures which are available through optional kits.|
Bearing Fault Kit (G-BFK-1)
Planetary Gearbox Bearing Fault Kit (G-BFK-P)
Radial Bearing Loader (G-RBL)
Defective spur gears (G-SDG)
Defective planetary gears (G-PDG)
Eccentric Spur Gear (G-ESG)
Helical gears set (G-HG)
Defective helical gears (G-HDG)
Torque transducer with built encoder on input shaft (G-TOR)
Shaft encoder (G-ENC)
PC Motor Control Kit (G-PCK)
PC Load Control Kit (G-PCLK)
Radial Bearing Loader Force Transducer (G-RBFT)
High Value Combination PackagesThe WTDS is available in various high value combination packages.
|Package # 1 :||Basic WTDS + Kits for in-depth studies of wind turbine drivetrain diagnostics|
|Package # 2 :||Basic WTDS + Kits in-depth studies of wind turbine drivetrain diagnostics with instrumentation|
|Package # 3 :||Basic WTDS + Kits in-depth studies of wind turbine drivetrain diagnostics with instrumentation plus torque transducer and encoders|
|Option kit||PKG 1||PKG 2||PKG 3|
|Parallel gearbox bearing fault kit||W-BFK-1||x||x||x|
|Planetary gearbox bearing fault kit||W-BFK-P||x||x||x|
|Defective spur gears||W-SDG||x||x||x|
|Eccentric spur gear||W-ESG||x||x||x|
|Helical gears set||W-HG||x||x||x|
|Defective helical gears||W-HDG||x||x||x|
|Defective planatary gears||W-PDG||x||x||x|
|PC motor control kit||W-PCMK||x||x|
|PC load control kit||W-PCLK||x||x|
|Radial bearing loader||W-RBL||x||x|
|Radial bearing loader force transducer (Requires G-RBL)||W-RBFT||x||x|
|Torque transducer with built encoder on input shaft||W-TOR||x|